Born des Champs Spring (near
Cugnac château stands a little to the west of the confluence
of the two streams, Bournège and Serve.
In the « Illustrated Périgord » Father Audierne described it
« The château and its towers, battlements, draw-bridge,
armoury, parapet and vast stables... »
The picture is today almost complete.
Around 1272 Cugnac château was owned by Marguerite de Rudel,
known as Turenne. (According to the Historical Society of
Following is an
extract from this journal :
« The lands and possessions of Marguerite de Rudel known as
Turenne, Seigneur of Bergerac and Genciac, touched the bastide
of Beaumont to the west.
Marguerite led an eventful life. She was first married to Renaud
III de Pons, widowed in 1272 and married in 1273 to Alexander of
Pebrée. During this period she was in conflict with her
suzerain, the Duke of Aquitaine, King of England : she had
complained of being dispossessed of her lands and property at
Bayac and of the damage that had been done to Cugnac château by
the English. On being ignored she had appealed instead to the
King of France for her loss of revenue. In revenge the King of
England had seized Cugnac château to punish his rival.
However, thanks to her marriage and to the services rendered by
her husband to the King of England to whom he owed allegiance,
Marguerite withdrew her appeal to Parliament and, consequently,
the king returned her château. »
Cose Standing Stones
Cose Standing Stones stand on the crest of a north-facing
clay-flint hillside to the north of Cugnac forest and about 300m
east of Cugnac Château. They are circled by a few slender oaks.
The hill is dotted with fragments of millstone grit.
The standing stones, whose size can be only imprecisely measured,
are built entirely of millstone grit and consist of six stones
including the roof (made of one single stone) which is still in
place but which has caused the complete subsidence of the
remaining five (the longest of which is approximately 2m30.) The
western side is made of two stones which now lean towards the
east, the northern stone tips to the south and, consequently, it
is difficult to appreciate the size and scale of the stones. The
sunken roof stone is horizontal and at its thickest point
measures approximately 1m10, at its longest (north-west /
south-east) 4m40 and at its widest, 3m10.
According to Father Audierne, « There is no doubt about what
these tables were used for. The Gauls offered sacrifices at
these monuments which were their alters, they proclaimed and
raised their leaders on them, and they buried druids at the foot
of the them, all of which explains the human bones found during
archaeological excavations. »
The old timber, stacked houses are typical of the region and
date from the 16th or 17th century.
Larocal Forest Festival. Big fireworks display. Third Sunday of
the month of July.