Its tips are shaped like clovers, symbolizing the Trinity. In
the centre hangs an ochre crucifix: the cross symbolizes the
instrument of torture and the Passion of Christ. The rays at
the intersection of the branches recall the influence of
Christ's life and offer hope for eternal life.
The cross of St. Perdoux, erected near a path, is probably a
step on the path of a procession dedicated to the patron saint
of the village, unless it commemorates an event of communal
Crambes underground to the west of St. Perdoux, was indicated in
1898. It is composed of a large number of rooms.
Halfway up the hill, on the south wall of a large funnel, there
is a gallery with a bend in it, and three rooms. The access
corridor ends perpendicularly at a distribution gallery that
leads to a small square room on the right and a crossroads on
the left. The plan of the underground makes it possible to judge
its great development. Taking the left, we discovered an angled
corridor leading to a large rectangular room.
Underground passages of this type are not rare in Perigord and
were used for defensive purposes since ancient times. Crambes
underground was certainly provided with a system of barricades
and sighting holes to survey the entries.
Lookout Post at Crambes Cave
In the Purple Perigord, a number of natural undergrounds have
served as refuges, like Saint-Perdoux, where we still see a
Located at Crambes, this highly developed lookout post has
several galleries and rooms. The lookout post confirms defensive
role of the place. In case of battle, from this place a man
might in this way, watch for the arrival of potential enemies,
or discreetly open fire.
Crambes underground adopts the specific shapes of Perigord
Access Passage to Crambes Underground Rooms
In 1959, a Bergerac speleologist, Jean-Pierre Couturié,
established the map of Crambes underground. This lookout post is
located to the west of Saint-Perdoux.
A passage leads to a gallery through which one enters, from the
right, a square room and a crossroads on the left. The scientist
counted two other rooms, served by the same gallery.
Crambes underground is not visitable (private)
It is under the patronage of Saint Pardoux, who was the abbot
of Gueret between the 7th and 8th centuries. The name comes
from Latin and means "forgiveness".
Mentioned for the first time in 1298, the parish of
Saint-Pardoux decided to build a new church between the 15th
and the 16th centuries. Of Gothic style, characterized by its
important stained-glass windows, its height, a form of spirit
going up to heaven (a symbol of prayer), its columns, its
simple intersecting capitals and rib vaults, which give an
impression of elegance and lightness. Initially equipped with
a wall belfry, the building was quite altered in the 19th
century. There is now a narrow wall belfry, detached from the
front to accommodate an arched portal and a large oculus
ultimately surmounted by a bell bay.
To see inside:
- Large crucifix with instruments of the Passion well
represented: hammer, pliers etc. ...
-Large altarpiece with columns under which lies the ancient
altar, well preserved.
The medieval buildings were often restored during the
nineteenth century, when they have not been demolished to be
In 2007 they were fully restored.
Saint-Perdoux Church Cross
Saint-Perdoux Church Cross
Near Saint-Perdoux Church, founded in modern times, and
profoundly altered in the 19th century, stands a massive cross.
It is a Latin cross in stone. It symbolizes the torture of Jesus,
and thus, Man in his universality. At the centre of the cross, a
kind of radiating candelabra is carved.
Raising this cross is undoubtedly related to an important event
in parish life, or perhaps it marks a step in the path of a