The church is listed as an Historical Monument. The Romanesque
dome and pendentives (high pillars, typically triangular) date
from the 12th century. The original vault was destroyed - from
door to dome - by fire during the Wars of Religion, it was
rebuilt in the early 17th century with funds from a donation
made by Montaigne’s wife.
The early 18th century alter comes from Vauclair Abbey. The
tomb stone of Montaigne’s father, Pierre Eyquem, is under the
alter although it was most probably originally situated at the
foot of a pillar.
Early 18th century. Montaigne’s descendants are buried under
the pulpit (cf. inscription).
The Station of the Cross
1975, sculptured slate (a difficult material to work with) by
the Bordeaux artist, Privat.
The book entitled « Livre de raison » (« The Book of Reason »)
which deals with the subject of Montaigne’s death, claims that
his heart is conserved in this church.
« In the year 1592 Michel Seigneur de Montaigne died, aged 59
and a half. He died at Montaigne and his heart was placed in
the chapel of St Michel’s Church. Françoise de la Chassagne,
wife and widow of Montaigne, had his body carried to Bordeaux
and buried in the Church of Foeuillens where she had a raised
tomb made for him and established a foundation for the church.
Montaigne’s « Livre de raison »