The village grew up around an early 13th century church built
during the reign of Henry III, King of England and Duke of
Aquitaine, by the ecclesiastics of St Astier, followers of St
The architecture is
particularly notable are the monumental facade and, inside,
the oval dome in the centre of the church, under the belfry.
The facade provides a clear example of the Saintongeais style
and is composed in three stages.
belfry has flat buttresses and the apse was raised to provide
further fortifications during the
A Minim Priory
was founded near the village by the
Count of Gurson in 1615
but it was totally destroyed during the Revolution.
A stone cross marks the place where the priory once stood but
otherwise the only ruin still visible is the arch of a bridge
over which ran the medieval Talbot path and a Roman road
The place name Plagnac
points to the probable existence of a Gallo-Roman house on
At 400 meters
from the town centre and its remarkable 12th century
Romanesque church, are the washing-place and the old fountain
of Guinot. The site of the washing-place and the fountain
occupies a small, verdant, rural valley. A marked hiking
trail, recorded in the Departmental Plan of Walking Routes,
has been created. The fountain of Guinot is indicated on the
circuit as a place to visit and rest.
The place is very old, having been the subject of ancient rites
and endowed with thousand-year-old legends, according to
historical publications. It is a cultural place for the curious.
Culture also, in view of events planned for 2011 on the theme of
folk tales (exhibitions, meetings, recitals, etc. ..), the
choice of this project being based on the fact that many stories
have been recorded at St. Martin de-Gurson and published by
contemporary authors in French and Occitan.