Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
Saint Jean d'Estissac Town Hall 


Saint Jean Baptiste Church

You will discover the commune’s treasures along a 9 km hiking path, which starts at the village fountain.

- Saint Jean Baptiste Church
Polyptyques from the 13th and 14th centuries refer to the church under the name of “Sancti Joanis d’Estissaco”.


Saint Jean Baptiste Church

It was not changed much in the 19th century. It kept its Romanesque-era nave, and its restored portal. This portal is made of small arcades resting on small columns, with a bell tympanum overhanging it. According to Abby Brugière, Protestants laid waste to it around 1572, and the choir was not rebuilt until the end of the 16th century.
There were many hideouts and chateaux in the commune. Some lovely residences remain:


Malrigou Hospice (private)

-Malrigou Hospice (private)
Fortified house built between 1430 and 1440. In those days, it belonged to Amaury de Bideran, company captain and faithful lieutenant to Amaury d’Estissac. In the 20th century, it became the house of the artist-sculptor-ceramist Pol Chambost. The building opens its doors to the public regularly, for contemporary art events. The residence is made of two buildings at right angles. The main building is framed with two square towers and edged with a small pit. A third tower at the interior angle connects the two buildings.

 


La Ponsie and Puy-Jean (private)

 

La Ponsie and Puy-Jean (private)
In the absence of convincing archaeological discoveries, these two fiefs are associated. It is undeniable that Puy-Jean is more anciently cited, but we cannot affirm if it was situated near Ponsie or if this manor was put up on the site of the first.
The dwelling of La Ponsie is rectangular. It is built on a large terrace cut into the hill. On its facade, whose old casement windows were replaced by large picture windows, a hexagonal tower stands out, enclosing a spiral staircase. Its two-sided roof, covered with flat tiles, is framed by pitched gables.

-La Beylie (private)
In 1692, the fief of Beylie and viguerie (jurisdiction) of Estissac consisted of a noble house with garden, meadow, woods, ploughable land and vineyards.
It is built on a rocky outcrop, most of which is surrounded by high walls. All the buildings, at right angles, lean against one of the sides of this outcrop. One of them is extended by former stables made into housing. A sort of pit, maybe a former dry moat, completely isolates the hill’s site.


-Many huts, built at the beginning of the 20th century, are scattered about the countryside.


-At the beginning of the 20th century, ruins of a priory and its chapel dedicated to Sainte Quitterie, still existed at “Loumagne”. It was a place of pilgrimage in former years. Today, the fountain and the statue of Sainte Quitterie remain.