Luziers, a fine, early 18th century construction built on the
foundations of a 14th century castle, stands on the right bank
of the « Naussannais ». Up until the Revolution when Naussannes
was attached to Beaumont, Luziers was part of the commune of
Naussannes. Château de Luziers was the site of fierce fighting
during the Wars of Religion, particularly when, in 1585, it was
attacked by the Protestant army of Turenne and hit by 76 cannon
balls. Then and on other occasions the castle was severely
damaged but remained, nonetheless, habitable.
An illustrious military family, the d’Auerstedt, owned, via its
youngest branch, several large farms at Naussannes including
one, in the village, which was originally a fortified house. The
oldest brother, Louis Davout d’Auerstedt, was made field-marshal
and Prince of Eckmulh by Napoleon.
Naussannes, a green, leafy, country village near the bastide of
Beaumont du Périgord, is easily accessible from Beaumont by the
rugged Naussannais valley (along the D25), from Lalinde via
Couze and Bayac through the Couze valley, and from Bergerac 23
km away, via Issigeac by the D21 and the D25.
Naussannes is on the east side of Bergerac, in the canton of
Beaumont du Périgord, still in the « Périgord Pourpre » but
close to the « Périgord Noir » and is transitional area between
these two regions. The village, in the centre of the commune,
straddles two different geographical zones : to the west a
chalky plain favours springtime cereal crops and to the east
forested hills and valleys lead to the nearby Bessède Forest
with its cèpe mushrooms and large game.
Demography and Surface Area
The commune has a surface area of 1482 hectares and a population
229 (official population on January 1, 2017).