History of the Commune of Naussannes
The village of Naussannes was inhabited as early as the
Palaeolithic period. The name of the village is noted - in the
same form as it still holds - at the end of the 13th century
(1286). Its Latin version of Naussanas appears in 1289. It
comes from the name of a Gallo-Roman called Navicius and means
« Navicius’ land or property ».
It is believed that during the Hundred Years War Naussannes,
which was situated on the English side of the French / English
border, served as a look-out post for the bastide of Beaumont
du Périgord. What is certain is that many of the village
houses date from this period.
St John of Jerusalem
In the 13th century the parish of Naussannes possessed a
hospital of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, annexed to the
Commandery of St Nexans, where the ill, infirm, the poor and
pilgrims on their way to St Iago de Compostella were received.
The hospital lasted for centuries and was still operating in
the last years before the Revolution, even adopting the title
of Commandery of Naussannes in the early 18th century.
The chapel of the ‘Commandery’ is today the parish church and
the hospital still exists, adjoining the church.
In 1759 the hospital was visited by the Commander of the Order,
Brother Louis de Franc de Montgey.
NAUSSANNES’ township (20 min from
Bergerac) sells building grounds (with water, electricity,
telephone, access road) next to the borough.
Interesting price – contact the Town Hall of Naussannes on
Mondays from 13h untill 16h45 and on Thursdays from 8h30 until
12h30 Telephone : 05.53.22.44.65
Other times : 05.53.27.35.09
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).