The history of
Moulin-Neuf is exemplary : the small, united commune of today
was once a collection of hamlets buffeted from pillar to post,
from one parish to another, serving as little more than pawns
in neighbouring village transactions. It first belonged to the
parish of Pizou from which it was separated by the river Isle,
it was then attached to Villefranche de Lonchat with which it
shared no common boundaries, before finally being given to
Minzac which could scarcely have cared less. Its inhabitants
had to fight for commune’s existence and Moulin- Neuf was
created in 1906.
It owes its name to a mill, built in 1620, which straddled the
river Isle; the mill was destroyed by floods in 1826 and
pulled down in 1827 to clear the river for navigational
The commune of Moulin-Neuf is situated in the canton of
Villefranche de Lonchat, in the arrondissement of Bergerac,
and in the Dordogne département.
Moulin-Neuf is the first village encountered on the national
road RN89 going from Bordeaux to Périgueux, just past the
Gironde / Dordogne border. It is one of the main entrances to
the département, benefiting from the major Bordeaux - Lyons
RN89 road and the A89 motorway whose east-west slip roads are
only a couple of kilometres from the village.
Between the Double region to the North and the Landais region
to the South, the commune of Moulin-Neuf is situated in the
lower river basin of the Isle which is the recognised border
It is situated at roughly equal distance from Bordeaux and
Périgueux (60km), 30km from Libourne, 50km from Bergerac and
22km from Castillon La Bataille.
Moulin-Neuf can be found on the following maps :
N° 75 Michelin map : 1/200 000
N°47 IGN (National Geographic) map : 1/100 000 (Bordeaux-Périgueux)
N°99 IGN (National Geographic) map, 1493 : 1/25 000 (Montpon-Ménestérol)
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).