Château Nothing remains of the
early fortress, the «Black Castle», which was destroyed by
the Norman invasion.
Hélie de Saint-Astier built a château in the early 14th
century which was destroyed in 1430. Michel de Peyronenc had
it rebuilt in 1467 when Louis XI gave permission for its
fortifications to be restored.
The château, which still stands today, underwent alterations
in the 16th century but there remain a few traces of the
Having lived at the Valois court and admired the châteaux of
Blois, Amboise and Chambord, the 16th century owner, Pierre de
Pontbriand, subsequently ‘modernised’ his own château.
François, continued the work, building a new chapel (listed as
an Historical Monument) in which to put the tombstone of his
much-loved wife, Anne de Grossoles, with an effigy of himself
lying at her side. The chapel houses a ‘blessed thorn’ which
Marshal Talbot was carrying when he was killed in battle at
Castillon in 1453 and which was brought back by Michel de
Strangely, nearby the name ‘Talbot’ has been given to place
with underground caves and passages.
The Canadian town took its name from the Seigneur de Montréal,
a travelling companion of Jacques Cartier.
House St Jacques’ Tower (the
origins of the name are unknown) is in the process of being
restored. A small house which stood right in front of this
beautiful Renaissance property has been knocked down to clear
the view. The Tower House has an underground passage and cave
used for hiding people, known as a ‘cluzeau’. A small stream
provides water for the (private) property.
At the entrance to the village stands a house with truncated
towers (private property) which in 1620 was referred to as the
« noble house of Mothe ».
The Seigneur de Montréal wanted to
turn it into an abbey for his daughter, Anne Pontbriand. The
1620 document describes the building as very large. However,
the project was never realised and by 1693 the house is simply
referred to as the Mothe farm house and by the beginning of
the 20th century had been transformed into the post office.
Château A glimpse of the
château (private property) can be had when standing with one’s
back to the village. Old postcards show a beautiful, typical
19th century garden.
Saint Avit Church
Saint Avit Church, Périgourdin Hermit St Radegonde is
celebrated in this church and his relics used to be laid out
on the Sunday following 15th August. It has a 12th century
rounded apse and a cupola above the transept crossing . The
beautifully proportioned church is one of the loveliest in the