« Very early on
parishes in the jurisdiction of Lalinde, including Bourniquel,
impatient for a new form of administration and policing,
wished to establish an elected Municipal Committee. They
planned to create one community body, to be united and form a
confederation for the well-being of everybody.» On 6 September
1789, the day this committee was formed, Bourniquel was
absent. Later the priests of Bourniquel, Saint Front and
Pontours also refused to publish the convocation to the
Assembly of 17 February 1790 at which the municipal body was
to be elected and the citizens of these three parishes refused
to attend the meeting.
It is from this split that the municipality of Bourniquel was
established in its present form ; following events of 1798 and
thanks to the wishes of its inhabitants, the parish of
Bourniquel become from 1790 onwards, an independant commune.
At this time the village had a population of approximately 350
Today, the commune of Bourniquel counts a population of
69*, belongs to the Pays Beaumontois Community of Communes and
covers a surface area of 800 ha of which 50% is covered by
forest with the rest being either farmed or uncultivated.
The soil, composed of siderolithic, porous, sandy, surface
deposits on the plateaux, is not very fertile. The high levels
of acidity in the soil are conducive to chestnuts, maritime
pines (recently planted) and pasture land. On the hillsides
the soil is formed of Campanian chalk and is more fertile and
just as porous. Here we find oak thickets, Scots pine and,
where the soil is deeper, cereal farming. The best soil is
reserved for specialised crops such as tobacco although this
is only grown on a few hectares of naturally more fertile
Maestrichtian red clay. There are no water reserves as the
soil is too porous to retain any significant quantity.
The average altitude of the commune is 120m above sea level
and the village is situated on a ridge separating the Dordogne
valley to the north from the Roumaguet (a tributary of the
Couze) to the south-west.
The geographic situation, the development of dairy and
cattle-farming (respectful of nature and with the animals
primarily outdoors), the tranquillity of the countryside and
the Registered Hiking Trail GR6 E linking up to footpaths at
Lalinde, Le Buisson and Beaumont are factors which combine to
make Bourniquel very attractive as far as tourism is concerned.
Leaflets about the village are available at the Beaumont
Tourist Information Office.
Bourniquel’s isolation remains relative as it is, in fact,
only 5km from all shops and essential everyday services at the
bastide towns of Lalinde (to the north) and Beaumont (to the
The commune is situated 4km south of the
Bergerac-Lalinde-Sarlat road on which local tourism relies
linking as it does Bordeaux to the Périgord Noir and to the
Quercy (via Beaumont, Cahors).
Bourniquel is also only 5km from St Avit Sénieur, on the St
Iago de Compestella pilgrimage route, and its restored 13th
century abbey and museum.
Monseigneur Chastang, Chamberlain to the Pope and priest of
Bourniquel from 1886 to 1944 was a pioneer of prehistoric
archaeology at Bourniquel.
and Malpas Palaeolithic Sites :
The bones found in this archaeological site include a slice of
reindeer horn, a minute fragment of a large, grooved assegai and
an almost complete assegai in reindeer horn measuring 326mm.
This «double-pointed» item also displays a deep, lengthways
groove. It was found broken in eleven pieces under a large stone
lying amongst the rubble.
This type of « bi-pointed », grooved assegai is generally
accredited to the Magdalenian III period according to the
classification of Abbé Breuil. This one is of an exceptional
size, only surpassed, to the best of our knowledge, by a «
bi-pointed » non-grooved assegai found at Laugerie Haut Est and
which Peyrony dated as Magdalenian III.
It is, therefore, reasonable to attribute to this period the
industry evident in the rubble of the corridor of the eastern
shelter, particularly in view of the assegai and stone work
displaying several markings. So it is highly regrettable that
this site has been practically destroyed although, strangely
enough, this fact might corroborate the age of the main two
engraved blocks of stone found in the rubble at Jamblancs, (given
in the 1934 publication of the findings) which are remarkably
similar in terms of engravings and sculpture to those found at
(official population on January 1, 2017)
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).