Bosset is a
small village in the heart of the Landais region with a
208* and a surface area of 1451 hectares. The
Lidoire, a tributary of the Dordogne River, has its source at
Historically speaking, the name of the parish appears in a 13th
century terrier for the first time written as ‘Borses’. It was
only during the trial of Pierre Mortier that the Latin version,
‘Bos Siccus’ - from which the current name is derived - first
appears. In 1744 appears the rather odd form ‘Bossuet’.
Up until the
First World War, a large animal fair took place on the first of
February, March, April, May and September. Cows - Limousine and
Garonnaise, known as the ‘Blondes d’Aquitaine’- from the Dronne
and Isle valleys were sold in the school playground. Piglets
were traded on the Lunas road, sheep on the square next to
today’s grocery store and, meanwhile, charlatans and profiteers
lined up by the cemetery wall.
There was regularly a tombola whose owner cried out in Patois «
Fay vira piti - fay vira -gagnora uno bolo » (“Turn it little
one, turn it and you’ll win a bowl”).